See the sky and hills!

See the sky and hills!
In Quiet Moments Here

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Thank You For?

Have you heard of an "attitude of gratitude"?  I have, but I certainly am struggling with it now.  I'm especially bound by two niggling little (comparatively speaking) issues.  First, I'm not fully recovered from my November 29th surgery. "Come on, it's been 7 weeks!" I say in my grumpiest voice, though most often I'm only talking to myself, or maybe I'm talking to God.  I don't appreciate my own complaining, so I suppose God doesn't either.  The other issue I'm not too appreciative of is the winter weather.  Most people I meet are thankful that we are having a much milder, less snowy winter than usual here in Wisconsin.  Well, I still don't like it; I hate being cold!

I was reading today in a magazine from the Disabled American Veterans; the chaplain wrote a message in there for me.  Just in case it might be for you as well, I'll share some of it.  This is from the National Chaplain, Dr. Charles W. Edwards, Jr.

  • Be thankful that you don't already have everything you desire.  If you did, what would there be to look forward to?
  • Be thankful when you don't know something, for it gives you the opportunity to learn.
  • Be thankful for your limitations, because they give you opportunities for improvement.
  • Be thankful for each new challenge, because it will build your strength and character.
  • Be thankful for your mistakes.  They will teach you valuable lessons.
  • It's easy to be thankful for the good things.  A life of rich fulfillment comes to those who are also thankful for the setbacks.
These are words that I needed today.  What is it that you don't want to be thankful for?  Are you ready for that "rich fulfillment" the chaplain talks about?  I hope I can learn this soon.




1 comment:

  1. Very wise words. Thanks for sharing. I hope you start feeling better and are soon able to turn a corner.

    ReplyDelete