See the sky and hills!

See the sky and hills!
In Quiet Moments Here

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Procrastination, Progress, Patience, Persistance, & Pitfalls

Can you use all those words in one sentence?  I can certainly find them all in one day.  Putting things off until later happens with so many reasons (or excuses): too busy now, too tired, don't feel good, have to go somewhere . . .  So I try harder, and make a little bit of progress; it happened yesterday, and felt so good.  Later, my head said to do more, but my body said no; that tried my patience, and drove me to frustration and a few tears.  And here arises the pitfall, discouragement.  When things in life get discouraging, it is just too easy to quit for a while longer, to get angry, to do something else that will make me forget about the issue, and yes, to just cry.   All of these things are somewhat helpful though!

Think of a baby learning to walk.  That precious little one must have been given an abundant amount of patience and persistance as Baby tries, takes a step or two, then falls down (Bump!) and gets back up and tries again, repeatedly.

Yesterday I read a devotional that used a verse from the Psalms, "If they fall, it isn't fatal, for the Lord holds them with His hand".  Another translation says "Though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with His hand".  I like that.  Toddlers just learning to walk are much more secure with an adult holding on, and I think that I am, in many ways, still a toddler.  My Father holds my hand.  That's a very good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment