See the sky and hills!

See the sky and hills!
In Quiet Moments Here

Friday, October 21, 2011

Above Mediocrity

My son, the U.S. Marine Captain, spent a few hours with me last week; it still amazes me how he can be my son, once my baby. The discipline and call to excellence that he has gone through in the military has chiseled his body and his character. 

Was it a coincidence that just a few days after he was here, I picked up a copy of the book by Charles Swindoll, Living Above the Level of Mediocrity?  In his introduction, Swindoll referred to his years in the Marine Corp, specifically boot camp where he was quickly convinced of the need for the severe discipline and difficult training.  He said, "The rigors of warfare would blow us away unless our minds and bodies were tough enough to withstand the demands made upon us."

My mind jumped quickly to a Bible passage which speaks of spiritual warfare.  "Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.  Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood . . ."

Am I, are you strong in the Lord?  Are we ready for whatever battle we come upon?  A life of mediocrity will likely lose battles as often as win.  This is a challenge to me, and perhaps to you also.  Are you ready to live above the level of mediocrity?

No comments:

Post a Comment