See the sky and hills!

See the sky and hills!
In Quiet Moments Here

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Happy Birthday Mom

This week I've been in Minnesota without my computer.  It's a great way to REALLY connect with people instead of connecting via Facebook or email!  I was able to spend some time with my sisters Jo & Jeannie, with Uncle Bart, with Aunt Gladys, and with Dad.  

We, and many other family members, have been influenced in varying degrees by a very special woman, my mom.  I was able to share a project I've been working on for a few months, copies of the diaries of Mom written while she was a young woman, before she was a wife and mother.  Mom has been in her heavenly home now for 19 years, and yet we are still touched by her values, her cheerfulness, and her love.  Today, if she were still with us, she would be 89 years old, and we'd be able to share her birthday cake.  With Mom, there would always be cake!  Although she was not the author of this saying, I think she'd approve: "Life is short; eat dessert first!"

Of course, that saying may not be literal advice, but the principle is so true, and also, so true of Mom.  Don't waste time with things that aren't good, and make time for enjoyment in your life.  Criticize less, praise more.  Complain less, relax more.  Frown less, laugh more.   Also, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Happy Birthday, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment