See the sky and hills!

See the sky and hills!
In Quiet Moments Here

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Let Your Moderation Be Known

The problem with some of our sins is that other people see them.  On the other hand, if there is no one that sees them, this can also be a problem because they are so much easier to get away with, or so it may seem.

The past few days I've expended an unusual amount of energy (unusual for me, that is) getting a few things done that I didn't really feel like doing.  There was great reward in doing so.  I love the feeling of accomplishment, and find that it is an energizer, almost a high.  However, I have several health issues that require good management, and that presents a difficulty; I'm just not good at managing them.

Today, I feel like a crash is coming.  The reason is simple. I have been concentrating on accomplishment and forgetting moderation.  Other versions of the Bible use different words, but the King James Version in Philippians 4:5 says "Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand."  A follow-up verse, after reminding us to ask God for what we need, is verse 7 which promises ". . . the peace of God . . . shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."  Oh moderation, how shall I learn thee?  I think the answer is right there: ask God for help.  So very often, something so simple is made difficult by my insistence on doing things my own way.

I don't know that everyone everywhere is going to know when I have mastered either a little bit or a lot of moderation.  If it's not known unto "all men", I do believe my man, my husband, will know.  In fact, in trying to please him by accomplishing much, he took note of my situation, that my moderation was lacking.  So that's what he knows about me.  Little reminders are helpful, but I hope I can get moderation mastered somewhat before my husband gets tired of reminding me, or I get tired of having him remind me.  God and I will have to have a chat about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment