See the sky and hills!

See the sky and hills!
In Quiet Moments Here

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Shadows


So often we compare times of our life as "sunny days" or "in the shadows", comparing the shadows, of course, to the times of sadness or difficulty.  We also use a descriptive phrase "a shadowy character" for someone unpleasant or untrustworthy; the person with evil intent is often "lurking in the shadows" in a scary story.  Perhaps the idea started centuries ago, as the Biblical Psalm 23 speaks of the "shadow of death".
However, does the shadow really deserve such a poor reputation?  I think it serves a purpose. In our normally cool climate, we have recently had some days with a very hot sun, and I have longed for a few clouds to give their shelter. 
Today, I've been waiting a bit longer before I go out to check on my garden.  Therefore, I spent some time this afternoon catching up with email and Facebook, after being away for 2 days.  One friend consistently posts thought-provoking quotes, and with thanks to Nancy, I want to share one here:
"Worry gives a small thing a big shadow."

- Swedish proverb
Do you remember as a child how it seemed so strange that your shadow was so much taller than your actual body, how the shadow of your house made it seem you had a skyscraper for a home?  It's not a big leap then to apply that proverb to a habit you may have, and I know I've spoiled more than a few days with--worry.  So then, let's apply this proverb to our own lives, and not waste any time thinking about any difficult thing that isn't happening right now. This moment, choose to be happy, to be mindful of the good in your world.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment