See the sky and hills!

See the sky and hills!
In Quiet Moments Here

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

While They are Here

This past Saturday, my sister Jeannie was honored by a celebration of her cancer-free status after vigorously fighting it for 2 1/2 years.  When I first heard it was planned, I felt moderately happy for her even though I was radically happy that her last medical report showed no cancer anywhere in her body.  I toyed with the idea of attending, but it was a 3-hour drive away, and I thought it just wouldn't fit in our necessary plans for that week-end.  When it was just a few days before the event, I began to seriously consider it; my siblings and many of their children and grandchildren were attending, and I questioned "why not me?"  As it came time, my husband and I did attend, and I realized why it was so important.


In past years, most of our family came together because of a death of one of our family members. In our grief, our conversations were limited and tears were flowing. Now we could come together because of a life!  

Jeannie is not only a precious member of our family, but she is a very special person in her community as well.  We were astounded at the number of people who came to celebrate with her.  It was so exciting!   On a hot summer Saturday afternoon, people who knew Jeannie gave up any other plans to spend time in a crowd that was honoring her, honoring her while she was very much alive, instead of waiting until someday when she may be gone.  
  
Who are the people in your life that you will mourn upon their death?  Besides your family and close friends, do you know of someone in your community that is making a positive impact on others?  Is it a grocery store clerk who always has a smile and a kind word for customers?  Is it a member of the police force or emergency team?  Is it a teacher or minister? Is it a military member?

Do not wait!  Tell them now, with a spoken "thank you", a letter of appreciation, or a direct smile.  Spend time with people you love.  Love is really an action, although we treat it as an emotion, so exercise that love.  Do something positive and helpful for special people; make them feel special.  Have fun with someone.  Have a serious conversation with a sister, brother, or member of the younger generation.  Ask your parent, if you still have one, what life was like growing up. 
   
Okay, I'm talking to myself here.  There's a song by Matthew West called My Own Little World: I've heard it many times lately, and one part keeps running through my mind:

What if there’s a bigger picture?

What if I’m missing out?


What if there’s a greater purpose


I could be living right now


Outside my own little world?

I personally have been living a life of  very limited love; my life's purpose has mostly been sitting on the back burner.  I've not been comfortable putting out more effort, and "being comfortable" seems to have been selfishly elevated to a necessity.   Most of my hours have been spent just trying to handle my own little world, but  I'm ready to expand. 

The celebration for Jeannie has awakened my desire to be part of a bigger picture.  Thank you Jeannie for all your effort to stay with us!  Thank you Jeannie's friends for making the effort to celebrate a major achievement--Jeannie is still with us!  

Let us celebrate, every day, every person, while they are still here!
                                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment